Well, it finally happened. Fidel Castro has died.
As a Christian, it’s hard for me to revel in this moment. I guess I’m feeling more a sense of relief on behalf of my parents who had to leave Cuba because of this dictator while they were just starting their lives.
And my maternal grandparents, both of whom also had to leave Cuba to escape the dictator (they and my parents left together). Especially my grandfather, who said he wanted to be buried in a free Cuba.
Sadly, the Castros ruined Cuba so badly it doesn’t appear my grandfather is any closer to his final wish.
The dictatorship has metastasized and has remade Cuba into a warped, hellish vision.
I’m hoping Cuba will be free one day soon. I just don’t see it happening for a long time.
Keep in mind, this poll was written just as the cruise in question was underway…
What do you think is going to be the biggest "surprise" to come out of the first cruise to Cuba from the US in years?
- The Castro bros will practice price gouging to squeeze as many dollars as they can out of the cruise passengers. (67%, 2 Votes)
- After promising Cuban Americans could travel on the cruise, the Cuban government backtracks and makes them pay some exorbitant "disembarking" fee or something similar (33%, 1 Votes)
- The cruise passengers are going to "volunteer" to cut sugar cane for an "authentic" experience. (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 3
Now that Obama has (and the Rolling Stones have) visited Cuba, what do you think is going to change for the average citizen there?
- Nothing. (67%, 4 Votes)
- More repression if you're a dissident. (17%, 1 Votes)
- Nada until the Castro dictatorship comes to an end. (17%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 6